Print Forward   Text size: SmallNormalLarge

Documents

Map of Taiwan
Anonymous, Ch'ing dynasty (1644-1911)
Ink and colors on paper, 46 x 667 cm

Popularity
23
Recommand
The legend indicates that east is to the top, west to the bottom, north to the left, and south to the right. At the northern end is the tribe of Quimaury (present-day Keelung) and in the far south is Shamachitou. All of the mountains, rivers, harbors, islets, shoals, towns, government offices, temples, and forts are marked.

In the first year of the Yung-cheng period (1723), Changhua County was under semi-control of the government; and in the twelfth year of the reign (1734), a bamboo wall was built around the county seat, and it is indicated on the map. On the second day of the eleventh lunar month in the 52nd year of the Ch'ien-lung period (December 10, 1787), Chuluo County was renamed as Chiayi County. Since this map retains the original name of the county, we know that the map was drawn sometime between the first year of the Ch'ien-lung period (1736) and the 52nd year of the reign (1787).
facebook
twitter
plurk
Previous Page  Home