The National Palace Museum
Timeline of the NPM
Since its establishment in 1925, the National Palace Museum has presented various appearances at different stages.
(1) 1924－1932 :
- November 1924
The last emperor of China, Pu-yi, left the Forbidden City. The Committee for the Disposition of Ch'ing Imperial Possessions, founded by the Republican government, started to make a comprehensive inventory of the articles in the imperial palaces.
- October 1925
The Committee for the Disposition of Ch'ing Imperial Possessions decided to follow the examples of European nations. With a core collection of Ming and Ch'ing objects, the Palace Museum was established and opened to the general public.
(2) 1933－1936 :
- February 1933
The Shan-hai-kuan Checkpoint fell to the Japanese army. Considering the precarious situation in northern China, the government decided to move the museum's collections southward.
- August 1936
The construction of the Palace Museum's storage in the Taoist monastery Ch'ao-t'ien-kung in Nanjing was complete. The Nanjing Branch of the Palace Museum was established the following year.
(3) 1937－1944 :
The Second Sino-Japanese War commenced in July 1937. Starting from August, the collections were moved in three batches to western China.
Northern Land Route (1937.8－1938.7) :
Nanjing→Shanhsi (Hsi'an→Paochi) →Sich'uan (Kuangyuan→Ch'engtu→Omei)
- Southern Land Route (1937.8－1938.12) :
- Southern waterway (1937.8－1939.9) :
(4) 1945－1964 :
- August 1945
With the conclusion of the Second Sino-Japanese War, the collections were reunited in Sich'uan and began to be moved back to Nanjing.
- December 1947
The collections arrived in Nanjing. The reunion and return of the collections were settled.
- December 1948~Feburary 1949
Due to the tension caused by the Chinese Civil War, the collections were shipped to Taiwan and temporarily stored in T'aichung.
- January 1950
Storage started to be built at Peikou in Wufeng, T'aichung and was finished in April. The government immediately established the Joint Managerial Office which was responsible for managing the collections that were moved to Taiwan by the Palace Museum, the Preparatory Office of the Central Museum and the Central Library. The collections from the three institutes were moved into the new storage.
- July 1956
The exhibition gallery in Peikou was built from July to December and was officially opened in the following year.
(5) 1965－Present :
The construction of the new museum in Wai-shuang-hsi in Taipei was completed. The government established the National Palace Museum in order to "manage, conserve and exhibit the collections of the Palace Museum and the Preparatory Office of the National Central Museum". The inauguration ceremony was held on November 12th. To commemorate the 100 anniversary of Dr. Sun Yat-seng's birth, the museum was also known as the "Chungshan Museum".
Extension project phase 1 was complete. Wings were added to the main building.
Extension project phase 2 was complete.
Extension project phase 3 was complete. The administration building was inaugurated.
Chih-shan Garden was complete.
Extension project phase 4 was complete. The library building and Chih-te Garden were inaugurated.
The planning of a southern branch was commenced.
- December 2006
The renovated main building was reopened to the public.
The southern branch of the National Palace Museum is expected to open.